Ferrari’s Fernando Alonso has admitted he is determined to land his second victory of the season at the San Marina circuit of Singapore this Sunday. Alonso has found Singapore an extremely happy hunting ground during his time in Formula 1, results which have included wins in 2010 and 2008 and a third place finish in 2009 however the Spaniard admits that winning will not be easy.
“I have always managed to make the podium in the three previous editions and my objective is to make it four out of four,” said Alonso on Ferrari’s website.
“A third victory to go with those of 2008 and last year would clearly be fantastic but I know that it will be very hard.” he added.
Although current word champion Sebastian Vettel’s RB7 is looking imperious at the present moment Alonso is confident that the narrow corner dominanted street circuit will suit his Ferrari much as it did at Monaco.
“At Monaco we certainly came very close to victory – without the final red flag I think I would have had an excellent chance to overtake Sebastian – but it’s also true that you can’t always guarantee that things go the same way.” the two time world champion said.
“What is certain is that we will give everything: I think we have the chance to do well as long as we get the best out of every aspect: tyres, set-up, engine, teamwork, everything has to be at 100 per cent.”
He added: “We hope to repeat the weekend of 2010 and thus to present another victory to the Prancing Horse and to all our fans. That is our target, one that will remain for all the coming races.”
In other news…
Lotus-Renault GP Principal has told the media that although he has been impressed by rookie Bruno Senna in the past two races he can make no promises that the Brazilian will maintain his seat for the 2012 season.
Senna began driving for Renault at Spa after coming into replace Nick Heidfeld who parted company with the team over the summer break. Heidfeld had previously come in to replace the injured Robert Kubica which subsequently makes Senna seat unstable as the French team are still believed to be hoping that the Pole can make a comeback with the team in 2012 however how is ability will have been effected with a year out of the sport remains to be seen.
However this does not mean the door is shut for Senna as Boullier was very coy with statements regarding the team set-up for 2012 and even refused to confirm the place of Vitaly Petrov next year despite the Russian being on a long term contract and carrying with him a wealth of sponsors.
“It is ‘too early’ to make a call on Senna’s future” Boullier said.
And then went on to add: “You have contracts, but there are some exit clauses for every party.”
In doing so Boullier has thrown a curve-ball and has thrown doubt on the future of Petrov although it is still highly likely that the Russian will maintain his place with the other going to either Kubica or Senna however Senna is only foucused on the here and now.
“The best way for me to be racing next year is with the results on the track,” said Senna.
“The objective is to keep having strong results and fix my place in Formula One, and the key to that is to keep improving and learning.”
Also in the news…
McLaren-Mercedes managing director Jonathan Neale has quashed rumours that the team are looking at the possibility of in-house engines when the new engine regulations come into play in 2014.
In light of Red-Bull’s recent contractual agreement with Renault Neale was asked about the plans for McLaren as teams begin plans for the new fuel efficient 1.6L V6-turbo power units.
Neale commented: “I’m not going to discuss the contractual terms but I can tell you that there’s an absolute cast-iron guarantee that it’s our intention to stay with Mercedes Benz as we transition to the next generation of engines.”
McLaren and Mercedes have enjoyed a successful spell in F1 since the German engine manufacturers replaced Honda as McLaren’s engine suppliers in 1995. However despite McLaren continuing their chain of production sport cars powered by their own in-house engines (such as the MP4-12C or McLaren F1) Neale stressed that the McLaren Mercedes partnership was as strong as ever.
“It’s not a concern or an issue for us at all,” he explained. “The one thing that ourselves and Mercedes Benz HighPerformanceEngines want is for Mercedes to have the best engine in 2014.”
Current world champion Sebastian Vettel is looking to become F1’s youngest ever double champion at Singapore this weekend. Victory at Monza last time out put the young German on the brink of history and for him to achieve it at Singapore Vettel needs to win and hope that McLaren’s Lewis Hamilton is second, Webber or Jenson Button finish lower than second, and Alonso finishes outside the podium.
The 24-year-old said: “I’m in a very good position.
All my rivals would like to swap places with me and I’ll go into the race exactly the same way I have done all the others — trying to win.
But it’s not over until it’s over. You just have to look at last year as the best proof. We didn’t know until the last lap of the last race.”
Source: The Daily Telegraph